NET stands for National Eligibility Test. Further, it is useful to appear for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship. So, it is very essential to qualify for the NET exam. But, many of us are unaware of ‘How to Qualify NET Exam?’. Thus, taking this very important point into account, we are providing information regarding the same. You can make use of it in many ways. In addition, this will help you. So, let’s have a look at ‘How to Qualify NET Exam?’.
How to Qualify for the NET Exam?
It is a dream of many of us to become a professor. There are many aspirants for this. So, it is a very important factor from your career point of view. You should get thorough information about this. Hence, we are delivering a tutorial ‘How to Qualify NET Exam?’. On the other end, you should prepare your mind to grab this great opportunity. So, let’s start our tutorial.
Process Used to Qualify NET Exam
There are some factors related to this. We are giving information about the same here. You should follow them to qualify for the NET exam.
The candidate must fulfill the criteria given below.
For the General Category
- General category students must secure at least 55% marks in the Master’s Degree or other equivalent exams.
- Moreover, the students should complete their education from the UGC-recognized universities/institutions in the streams like Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science, Humanities, Social Science, etc.
For the Reserved Category
- In addition to the above, reserved category students belong to the Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disability (PwD) Category.
- Further, these students have 5% relaxation. So, they must secure at least 50% marks in the Master’s Degree or other equivalent exams.
Candidates pursuing their Master’s degree
- It includes the candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course. The candidates who have appeared for the Master’s degree final year exam and whose result is still awaited are also eligible.
- Such candidates will be provisionally taken and shall be considered eligible only after passing a Master’s Degree or equivalent exam with the required marks.
- Such candidates must complete their Master’s degree or equivalent exam within 2 years from the NET result date with the required marks.
For the Ph.D. Degree Holders
- The Ph.D. degree holders who have completed the Master’s level examination by 19th September 1991 (Date of result declaration is not considered) are eligible with a 5% relaxation in aggregate marks for appearing on NET.
Age Criteria & Relaxation
There are age limit criteria for some posts. It is as below.
Age Limit (as of 1-3-2021)
- Junior Research Fellowship: 31 years
- Assistant Professor: No upper age limit
|Other Backward Classes (OBC)||5 Years|
|Female Candidates||5 Years|
|Persons with Disabilities (PwD)||5 Years|
|LLM Degree holder Candidates||3 Years|
|Armed Forces Candidates||5 Years|
UGC Reservation Policy
UGC provides a reservation policy for the candidates. Further, it helps to secure those positions for them. So, here is the list of reservation policy ways. This is according to the new structure. So, you should be aware of it.
|Category||Reservation in %|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer||27|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||4|
Exemptions for Assistant Professor role
In addition, this is also an important point. Further, there is a facility of exemptions for the Assistant Professor role. These are explained below. You should look into it carefully.
- Those candidates awarded with Ph.D. degree according to UGC Regulations, 2009 are exempted
- After that, the candidates clearing UGC/CSIR JRF exam before 1989 are exempted
- Further, candidates clearing State Eligibility Test (SET) before June 1, 2002, are exempted
The candidates clearing the SET exam after June 1, 2002, can apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in colleges/universities located in the state from where they have cleared the SET exam. So, this is the main criteria for them. Nevertheless, you should follow the new instructions also.
In this way, following the above-mentioned information, you can easily qualify for the NET exam. Moreover, we assure you that, this will help you in many ways. So, do take benefit of this information.